Thursday, June 20, 2013

Boards made!

image

Finally! 2 days ahead of schedule, now OSH Park needs to ship them. With any luck I’ll be attempting to reflow the boards late next week, early July.

Wow, how the time flies. Behind schedule on the enclosure design. Unlike the circuit board, 3D solid modelling is something I’ve been doing since high school. It’s what I’m classically trained to do. I think it’s valuable to take a mental break, though I’m not very good at it.

Seems like the $13 Freescale Freedom K25 board can be used as a programmer (CMSIS-DAP) style. This is great news. It’s essentially the cheapest ARM Cortex M0/1/2/3/4 programmer you can possibly get.

See the J6 header, if you cut a trace and install a header in one of the two pin slots you can use the small OpenSDA as a programmer for external boards. The J8 header is for programming the Arm Cortex at U6. So this board has two microcontrollers. One as a programmer, and the one you are meant to program. Pretty cool for $13 dollars. ARM Cortex is going to be huge for the microcontroller game as it develops maturity.

2 comments:

  1. hi,
    do you have, or can you point me in the right direction, more information about how to use this as a programmer. i've some rfd51822 chips that i want to program and i have one of these freescale boards.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out mcuoneclispe.

      http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/05/17/cmsis-dap-with-iar-and-the-kl25z-freedom-board/

      He has another post where he tries to program one kl25z with another kl25z. It's kind of a combination of both methods. I haven't tried it yet. I've been to interested in getting my circuit boards working but eventually will.

      Delete